...

Get ready to follow 9 city-girls from Philadelphia as they experience the Delaware River up close and personal. With funding from the National Park Foundation (NPF) the Pocono Environmental Education Center (PEEC) is proud and excited to offer this once in a lifetime experience to these young women.


Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 1 part 2

Today was a day of profound realizations.

For me...it really hit home that I will be on the river with these 11 young women. For them, the realization of what it truly means to "live" on the river for 4 days and 3 nights became crystal clear.

There was no shortage of doubt in the room when this fact was realized.

The difference between wants and needs becomes utterly clear when one realizes "if you pack it, you lug it around." It is here that things like pillows, multiple pairs of shoes and makeup become a "want" not a "need". And I used to be a makeup artist and fashion industry exec. Knowing my career past, you would think that I couldn't do without these things. But I can and often do. As I got older, I learned that they, as well as other wants, have their place in a balanced life.

Learning how to live a balanced life of wants and needs is one of the things Jessica, Betsy and I are hoping to show the girls. One way to help them realize what is wanted opposed to needed in their lives is to have them journal about their experience and how they feel throughout it.

Journaling is a part of the WINS program back in Philly and here at PEEC we incorporate journaling into many programs.

During the ABI / WOW program the girls will be journaling about many aspects of their trip. On this blog, you will be able to read from each girl's journal as well as "hear" from all of us while on the river. While on the river we will be blogging. Technology has given us the ability to do this with relative ease as long as we keep our cell phones and cameras dry.


I'm glad I bought insurance on my new Blackberry.

No comments: